*NOTE: Scout’s Must Provide their own Mountain House meal (or equivalent) for Saturday Night’s dinner!! That meal will not be included in what the scouts buy.
Weather: The weather looks great for Saturday but be prepared to set up in the rain. Also, please have your headlamps and rain coat accessible at the top of your backpack to aid in hiking and setting up camp in the dark.
Route: The tentative route is depicted in the picture of the map above. Here is a full resolution PDF of the map so you can download it and print a copy: alltrails-bishop-castle. We will park cars near Davenport Campground right by the trailhead then hike in a counter clockwise direction around squirrel creek trail.
Friday Dinner: Bring your own (Subway or something similar)
Saturday Breakfast: Mini muffins and oatmeal
Saturday Lunch: Bread, jelly, peanut butter, and granola bars
Saturday Dinner: Mountain House Meals (Scouts responsible for bringing this one meal!!) and dessert cook off (Make sure dessert is purchased in accordance with scout decisions in the planning meeting)
Sunday Breakfast: Bagels and oatmeal
Snacks: Granola bars and trail mix
*Zip lock bags must be purchased to divide meals before hiking.
- Evan R is buying the food for this trip. 8 Scouts are signed up. By food for 7 because one scout is on a special diet and will bring his own food. Budget is $12 per scout. There was an additional dessert cook off between patrols. Make the dessert cook off items are purchased in accordance with whatever the planning meeting decided.
- Adults will bring their own food.
- Scout’s can bring some of their own additional snacks if they choose
- Scouts are responsible for bringing their Saturday night Mountain House Meal or something equivalent for Saturday night.
- Sleeping bag (Rated to at least 35 degrees)
- Sleeping pad (Optional)
- Class A shirt
- Clothes to match the weather (layers)…not too much clothes.
- Raincoat (Can also be used for warmth)
- First aid kit
- Fire making stuff (Fire Ban might be in effect)
- Bug spray
- Brimmed Hat
- At least 2 liters of water
- BSA handbook and any other merit badges you want to work on (You don’t have to carry the book…but write down what skills you want to accomplish)
- Mess kit
- Hygiene kit (toilet paper, trowel, toothbrush, toothpaste, wetwipes etc.)
- Broken in hiking shoes (proper footwear)
- Extra socks
- Healthy snacks
- Hammock (One of the Troop’s or your own)
- Garbage Bag (Scouts will hike out their own garbage)
- Food Bag
- Back Packing Camp chair
- Jet Boil Stove (1 per buddy team) with Fuel
- Water Purification pump (2 per troop)
- Map (1 per buddy team)
- Bear Bag and String
- Cat Hole Shovel
5pm: Meet at Wilson United Methodist Church
530pm: Depart to San Isabel National Forest
730pm: Arrive at Trail Head (By Davenport Campground)
all day and night: Backpacking/Camping/Scout Activities
9am: Arrive at Bishops Castle
2-3pm: Arrive Back at the church