Committee Minutes – December 11, 2012

BSA Troop 287 —  December 17, 2012 — Leave a comment

Troop 287 Committee Meeting Minutes

December 11, 2012


Present were:  Kathy Kaelin, Keith Moore, Dave Krzemien, Dan Rodriguez and Tom Sharp

Approval of Minutes: Approval of November Committee Minutes was deferred till we next month because we did not have a copy on hand. 

Scoutmaster Report: The Annual Scout Planning meeting was held on Dec  1 – the boys enjoyed Pizza and made a tentative schedule of events for 2013.  The highlights are as follows – Dates are not final and are subject to change. 

January – Campout  Jan  25-27  Orientation Course, MB – Citizenship of the World, PPC – Rifle Merit Badge – Jan 18-19

February – Freez-o-ree – Feb 22-24, Court of Honor Feb 19

March – Ski Trip March 9 – MB Snow Sports

April – HP Camporee- April 26-28, MB Personal Fitness, Cycling

May – Backpacking May 17-19 – MB Wilderness Survival  – Court of Honor May 21 – Flags May 27

June – Summer Camp – June 2-8, Sea Base June 14-20, Flags June 14

July – Campout (Rafting/Zipline) July 13-14, Flags July 4

August – Campout (Geocaching) Aug 17-18, MB Orienteering, Court f Honor Aug 20

September – Campout (shooting) , MB, Rifle, Shoot, Archery, Flags Sept 2, Yearly Planning Meeting

October – Backpacking – Dino Death March

November – 20 mile hike, Court of Honor – Nov 19, Flags Nov 11

December – Webelos Overnight – Camp A?

Keith also said that at the planning meeting – the scouts decided that each COH should have a theme and a presentation or activity based on that theme. 

Upcoming events:

December 18th – Swimming MB – YMCA from 5-7 all others will meet at the church at 7pm

December 23 – Soup Kitchen

December 25 and January 1st – No Meeting

January 8th – Regular Meeting

Keith mentioned that he will have some repairs to the trailer done in December and he will save the receipts for this year’s budget. 

Kathy handed out the T-Shirt Order proposals.  Keith had asked that we look at the possibility of getting the high tech sweatshirts instead of the cotton ones.  Those are $40.00 each.  The committee voted to get extra T-shirts and extra Sweatshirts – Proposal #5 from the attached list.  Kathy will also send out an email to the troop to see if anyone would like to order the new sweatshirts to see if we can sell any more.  And she will contact the three people who ordered the cotton one’s and see if they want to upgrade for an additional $20.00 each.  The orders will be taken out of 2012 budget – initial cash outlay will be approx $700.00 but the net after the sweatshirts are sold will be $300.00.  Order deadline will be December 18th meeting. 

Advancements Report:  Joyce was not here so this was deferred to January

Treasurer Report:  Kathy handed out the Treasurer Report (attached).  We are still significantly under budget – based on this the committee decided the T-Shirts should be an expense for 2012 even though it is not budgeted.  The Treasurer Report was approved. 

Budget 2013 discussion was deferred till January 2013 Committee Meeting. 

Journey to Excellence:  Jen was not at the meeting so this was deferred.

Flags Discussion:  Dave announced that if a parent does not volunteer then he will take the flags back for one year only.  If we could get a parent to shadow him this year they could take it over next year. 

Discussion of a raise for the boys was deferred as it has a direct impact on the budget. 

Other Items:

Philmont 2014: Kathy announced that we were accepted to go to Philmont for 2014 – Kathy handed out the sign up form for the High adventure camp – The age limit is age 14 by the start of camp – or completed the 8th grade and at least 13.   Deposits are due by the February Court of Honor to secure your spot. 

Pack Recruiting:  The need for recruiting of local Packs was discussed.  The Committee asked if there could be an event scheduled for January – possibly an outdoor Saturday Event at the Church where Webelos could come and go – with several different stations – and possibly a orienteering course.   Keith was going to take it back to the boys for their input. 

Kathy will get contact information for area packs and send out the information once it is confirmed. 

It was decided that an event needs to occur earlier in the year – and be an event geared towards the Webelo scouts and not just an invitation to a Court of Honor.

Friends of Scouting:  If we reach the yearly goal for this – Our Rank advancements for 2013 will be paid for by council.  This will be scheduled for a Court of Honor meeting – probably in February.    

Recharter:  Kathy reported that all scouts except one has paid their registration fee.  The one scout that has not has been contacted and is not able to pay it at this time.  The committee voted to pay the fee for him and Kathy will collect it in 2013. 

Adults  — Kathy reported that all adults have paid for recharter except for a couple of ASM.  Nickolas Hasse will be sending his registration fee to Kathy via mail and hopes to be more involved with the troop this year.  The others will be dropped from the Roster and if they decide to rejoin they will have to fill out a new adult application.  Jim Brinkman has not completed his application yet.  He did not have to pay as he is a multiple with Pack 26. 

Kathy, Tom and Jen will get together and complete the Recharter online based on this information. 

The meeting was adjourned – Next Meeting – January 8th at 6:30pm


T-Shirt Order Proposals

Treasurer Report for December

BSA Troop 287


No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation.

Leave a Reply