Boy Scout Troop 287
Meeting: Troop 287 Committee Meeting
Date & Time: July 12, 2016, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Location: Wilson United Methodist Church
In attendance: Sara Chermack, Steve Cuccaro, Sandy Diggs, Sandy Johnston, Pam Reeves, Danny Reeves, Tom Sharp, Jen Walker, Sean Warner, Jonathan Westcott, Lisa Woodard.
Sean Warner – Scout Master
- This Friday, Sept 16th through Sunday the 18th will be the Wigwam Backpacking Trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness area. Scouts should be at the church at 4:00 PM on Friday; the plan is to arrive back around 12:00 PM on Sunday
- October 14th – 16th will be the Centennial Campout hosted by our local Boy Scout council. It will take place at the El Paso County Fairgrounds in Calhan. This will be a family campout, $20 for entire family, or just $10 for one Scout.
- Saturday, November 5th will be the Veteran’s Day Parade and our “Flags” fundraiser.
- November 11th & 12th – “The Dino Death March” will most likely occur.
- Towards the end of the year, the Scoutmaster will be planning a Holiday gathering at his home for all of the Troop parents
- Suggestion made to participate in Camp Jamboree – Summer 2017
Tom Sharp – Chartered Organization Representative
- October 31st event: Church Harvest Festival and ‘Trunk or Treat’ – Scouts are encouraged to participate as volunteers
- Sunday, Sept. 25th, Soup Kitchen at Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Sandy Johnston – Committee Chair
- Suggestion made for purchasing camping equipment with unallocated funds
- Veteran’s Day Flags will be discussed towards end of meeting
- Discussed the scholarship fund
Danny Reeves – Committee Treasurer
- Discussed reconciliation reports
Flag Fundraiser Discussion
- Flags raises $2,200 roughly for the Troop which goes towards the costs of awards at Courts of Honor; dues would be significantly higher without the help of Flag fundraising
- We need to keep this as a fundraiser; cannot afford to lose this partnership with the Rotary Club
- There is the potential for the Rotary Club to find another Boy Scout Troop
- Various solutions were discussed to improve the participation of the boys and the parents