Here is our initial plan to make it up to the top of Pikes Peak on the 26th/27th…
I have 22 people signed up and paid for. The updated list is below. Please no more people sign up on Sign Up Genius. Everyone attending this event, Adults and Scouts, please come to the Tuesday meeting on 22 August so we can go over and finalize the plan.
5am – Meet at Soda Springs Park in Manitou Springs (Do not be late!)
530am – Start Hike up Barr Trail
1230 – Arrive at Barr Camp (Planing on 1mph movement time)
5pm – Spaghetti Dinner at Barr Camp
6am – Pancake Breakfast at Barr Camp
7am – (or earlier) Start hike to Pike Peak Summit (Planing on 1mph movement time)
1pm – (or earlier) Summit Pikes Peak
3pm – Take Train Down
5pm – (or earlier) Parents Pick up Scouts at Soda Springs Park in Manitou Springs
Back Pack Packing List:
- Back Packing Back Pack with internal or external frame – Please make sure it fits
- Waterproof Bag (Garbage bag or something like that)
- Sleeping Bag
- Water Resistant Jacket (for warmth and rain protection)
- One warm shirt (Light Fleece or underlayer)
- Extra Pair of Socks
- Tent (for those not in the cabin…we will discuss this at the meeting)
- 2 Liters of Water (in Bladder or Nalgene)
- Beanie Hat
- Personal Hygiene stuff
- Snacks Plus one lunch. No Junk Food. Hydration powder, trail mix, granola bars, sports gels are good. Definitely no energy drinks like Red Bull
- Water Filtration Pumps
- First Aid Kit
- Shorts or Pants/Shirt. Dry Wicking. Convertible pants are awesome. Do not over dress because we will heat up fast! No Cotton!!
- Hiking Shoes. Broken In.
- Smart Wool Socks
- Hat with Brim
- Knife (If you have the Toten Chit)
- Spending money for Lunch/donuts at the top
- Phone (There are no chargers at Barr Camp I think…)
Plan to be warm when moving and chilly when stopped. Plan for temps to be in the 30s at the top but don’t over pack! Please do not over pack their back packs. They do not need 2 complete changes of clothes. Its ok if they are little stinky that day:)
Please have your scouts hike in their pack a little before the ascent. This is not an easy hike! We will go slow but we need to try to get to the top before 1pm to reduce the chance of lightning strike which is probably the biggest threat. The picture shows a couple scouts doing the right thing and preparing. We are leaving very early to beat the heat. The first three miles up Barr Trail are very tough and are super hot when the sun is up.
In addition to the below list of attendees, I would like two volunteers that are willing to simply hike up to Barr Camp on Saturday then hike back down. These two adults would be there to bring down scouts that get sick or injured or simply cannot make it to the top. Another option will be to buy another ticket on the train so they can get on at Barr Camp. I do have a little reception at Barr Camp and should be able to make a call if necessary. We might be able to have someone drive up and walk down from Barr Camp from Pikes Peak HWY but I have to confirm that.
Here is an update list of who is signed up:
We will work out the remain details at the Tuesday meeting. All input to make this trip fun and safe will be greatly appreciated