This Saturday, Troop 287 will be doing a preparation campout to learn some basic skills and begin completing requirements for rank advancement.
Scout can pay cash, check (made out to Troop 287), or use money from their Scout funds, if they have a sufficient balance.
Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast will be provided. Boys should bring their own lunch on Saturday. Extra snacks are fine. We’ll probably be doing s’mores Saturday night, as well.
Please download, print, complete, sign, and bring the parent permission form:
11 a.m., Saturday, April to 11 a.m., Sunday, April 12. Just one night.
Things for Scouts to bring:
- #1 GOOD ATTITUDE!
- sleeping bag, rated 20 degrees or better/lower
- sleeping pad or cot
- Scout Handbook
- Small notebook that fits in pocket
- pocket knife
- metal or sturdy plastic plate
- metal or sturdy plastic spoon and fork
- metal or study plastic drinking cup
- Rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hiking boots or closed-toe hiking shoes (no flip flops, sandals, or
- Durable shorts
- Durable pants
- Durable, warm socks (and maybe an extra pair)
- Scout Class A shirt (for evening ceremony)
- Scout Class B shirt (and maybe an extra shirt)
- Personal hygiene (toothbrush, toothpaste, sanitation wipes, deodorant)
- Broad-brimmed hat
- Hand kerchief
- small, personal flashlight or headlamp (with extra batteries)
- Roll of duct tape (for repairs)
- Roll of clear packing tape (to protect Fire N’ Chit and Tote N’ Chit cards)
- Dryer lint (to practice fire starting)
Use a permanent marker or tape to identify their belongings.
Pack in a backpack or large bag or plastic container bin.
Scout can consult his Scout Handbook for anything we might have committed on this list.
ALSO: IF YOU HAVE SOME FIREWOOD YOU CAN SPARE, BRING THAT, TOO!
Discarded 2x4s (non-treated) work great if you find some lying around.
The troop provides tents, cooking stoves and utensils, tarps.
- Camp setup: What goes into choosing a camp site? What and where do we set up first?
- Knife, ax, and saw safety: Tote N’ Chit Training and cards
- Fire safety: Fire N’ Chit Training and cards
- Game time
- Work on advancements (study for Scout rank)
- Scoutmaster conferences for scouts who are ready to advance
- Cooking and 3-pot cleanup method
- US Flag Retirement ceremony
- Breakfast and cleanup
- More rank advancements
Call ASM Swanie if you have questions (719-963-5645).