We will meet at Wilson United Methodist Church on Friday, 20 Sep @ 330pm to start our camping/shooting weekend. I have been able to cover safety, rifle parts/functions and some sighting classes but I need 1.5 additional hours prior to leaving to teach them body position and shooting fundamentals. I will conduct this training on Friday from 330-5pm during daylight, while they are fresh. I understand that scouts in District 20 do not get released from school until 335pm, but due to the importance of this class, I hope you will be able to check them out a bit early and get them to the church by 330pm.
– Make sure you arrive with all the scout’s camping gear packed and ready to go.
– Have the scout’s permission slip signed.
– Scouts need to bring their Rifle Shooting Merit Badge Worksheet.
– Have one meal packed for the Scout’s Friday night dinner.
– Scouts will need to arrive in Class A’s for Travel.
– Scouts should pack IAW their camping checklist in the Scout Handbook (pg. 257 in my son’s handbook). However, Scouts backpacks should include a sleeping bag rated to at least 30 degrees, long sleeve shirt and pants for shooting, change of clothes (to include socks), hat, wet weather gear (Poncho/Rain Jacket), sleeping pad, personal hygiene gear, cold weather gear (the forecast is sunny with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 40s), mess kits, pen, notebook, sunscreen and a rag for cleaning a gun. Optional: a tarp or poncho for putting on the ground during shooting, camera, $ in case we stop for a snack on the way back.
– Bring a Nalgene or Camel Back to stay hydrated on the Range.
– Safety Glasses and Hearing protection will be provided but scouts can bring their own if they choose too. I bring mine because it’s usually better.
– Scouts working on their Wilderness Survival Merit Badge need to bring a material to start a fire without a match or lighter.
– Josh J is purchasing the food for the weekend so scouts do not need to purchase their own meals other than Friday night’s dinner. Scout can bring healthy snacks if they like.
My phone number is 719.648.6798 if you need to get a hold of me. We are traveling to Peaceful Valley Scout Ranch: http://www.denverboyscouts.org/camping/boy-scouts/peaceful-valley/45795
I will have your scouts back at Wilson Methodist Church before lunch on Sunday the 22nd. Your Scout will call you to let you know when we are on our way back.
Feel free to call if you have any questions.