First check out these awesome pics of Josh J climbing on ice this weekend at Camp A!! Too scary for me but if any of you want to sign up for future Ice Climbing sessions then you can sign up at the following link: http://www.pikespeakbsa.org/Events/IceClimbing
For next Tuesday’s meeting we will be working on the Snow Sports Merit Badge. We will do the discussion part of the merit badge Tuesday then complete the requirements on Saturday at Monarch. For those that are not able to do the merit badge but just want to ski, that is fine if a parent comes with you so the leaders can run the merit badge. I recommend that everyone attend this portion because scouts can also earn this merit badge on Snowshoes and our next campout will be snowshoeing.
Here are the abilities required to earn the merit badge:
Downhill (Alpine) Skiing Option
- e. On a gentle slope, demonstrate some of the beginning maneuvers learned in skiing. Include the straight run, gliding wedge, wedge stop, sidestep, and herringbone maneuvers.
- f. On slightly steeper terrain, show linked wedge turns.
- g. On a moderate slope, demonstrate five to 10 christies.
- h. Make a controlled run down an intermediate slope and demonstrate the following:
- 1. Short-, medium-, and long-radius parallel turns
- 2. A sideslip and safety (hockey) stop to each side
- 3. Traverse across a slope
- i. Demonstrate the ability to ski in varied conditions, including changes in pitch, snow conditions, and moguls. Maintain your balance and ability to turn.
- g. Do the following:
- 1. On a gentle slope, demonstrate beginning snowboarding maneuvers. Show basic ways to control speed and direction. Include the side slipping maneuver.
- 2. On slightly steeper terrain, show traversing.
- h. On a moderate slope, demonstrate an ollie, a nose-end grab, and a wheelie.
- i. Make a controlled run down an intermediate slope and demonstrate the following:
- 1. Skidded, carved, and jump turns
- 2. Stops
- 3. Riding fakie
- j. Demonstrate your ability to ride in varied conditions, including changes in pitch, snow conditions, and moguls. Maintain your balance and ability to turn.
See you Tuesday!