Philmont Update

Sean Warner —  May 7, 2020 — Leave a comment

Folks, I am sad to say that our Philmont Trek is canceled this year due to COVID. Our Trek was scheduled for June and right now, Philmont is not opening until 1 July so they asking for us to reschedule for 2021. My son and I would still like to go next year and I feel even if some back out that we can put together another crew for 2021 so I am going to lean forward to re-schedule. If your scout would not like to reschedule for next year then please let me know! seanmwarner@gmail.com

Thanks, Sean

Below is the pasted email from Philmont:


Dear 2020 Lead Advisors and Reservation Contacts,
It is hard to imagine a more difficult circumstance for operating Philmont Scout Ranch. Our mission brings people together and Delivers Wilderness Adventures that Last a Lifetime. Yet as our state, region, and the entire world continues to deal with the evolving COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we realize the nature of this virus, and how it spreads, presents significant challenges for Philmont. Your safety, health, and well-being remain our top priority. 
The staff at Philmont continue to work relentlessly through every scenario for opening, in conjunction with the constantly evolving environment that this challenge presents to all Americans.  In light of the state of New Mexico’s extension of stay at home orders through May 15th and decisions that other community and public entities have made to close, we have made the difficult decision to delay the opening of Philmont until July 1.  

We will continue to follow updates and recommendations from the CDC, NM Governor Lujan Grisham, and state and local health departments, and monitor data and decisions from other states and entities across the country. Additional updates will be provided on May 15 and June 1.
You are receiving this email because you are listed as the Reservation Contact or Lead Advisor for your crew(s). If you are a Reservation Contact it is important that you communicate with all of the Lead Advisors in your Contingent. If you are a Lead Advisor it is important that you communicate with all of your crew members to get their updated expedition plans before submitting the survey. It is important that the Reservation Contact and Lead Advisor coordinate who will submit this survey on behalf of the crew. Please only submit one survey response per crew. 
There are important decisions that will need to be made for your crew(s). Please follow the link below and complete the survey. This will allow us to gather information to help you and Philmont prepare for the summer ahead. Please complete this survey by Friday, May 8th. You will also want to refer to the updated cancellation/refund policy that can be found below.  Please know that when we open on July 1st, the Philmont program will look different to allow for appropriate social distancing. Philmont has begun implementing the following steps to promote a safer environment: Developing pre-travel protocols Pre-arrival screening Extensive on-site Screening Increased cleaning and sanitization in shared spaces, buildings, vehicles, and program areas Large gatherings, including campfires and chapel services, will be limited or eliminated Adjustments in our dining hall operations Any participant or staff member in a high-risk category for protection from COVID-19 should not attend Philmont this year, because of established protocols by our country’s medical experts. Additional measures will be implemented per CDC guidelines. 

We ask that you do not call Philmont but fill out the survey and let our team of Registrars, plan their work, and work the plan. With 2,200 crews and more than 24,000 individuals all seeking personal assistance, we must focus on the surveys you submit and prioritized by importance. Survey responses will be prioritized for resolution by the end of May.   Refund Policy – If the Boy Scouts of America or a National High Adventure Base (HAB) cancels your program due to COVID-19, you can reschedule your adventure and apply fees to an alternate date later in 2020 or 2021 (and 2022 at PSR and NT) at 2020 pricing. If it is not possible for you to reschedule, you will receive a full refund of fees paid. 
If you cancel your program during the COVID-19 outbreak, you may select an adventure later in 2020 or 2021 (and 2022 at PSR and NT) at 2020 pricing. If it is not possible for you to reschedule, you will receive a refund of fees paid less 10% (to support the program costs of operating the HAB). See the HAB website for more information. 
Refunds will be processed within 10-12 weeks.  Additional information and updates are available at PhilmontScoutRanch.org/Coronavirus 
Here are our options for next year….
Options for Crews:Crews that were scheduled to arrive before July 1 are encouraged to reschedule for 2021 or 2022 (as space allows) or transfer to another high adventure base closer to their home. Crews that are no longer able to travel to Philmont for an adventure this summer are encouraged to transfer to 2021 or 2022 (as space allows), transfer to another high adventure base, or cancel their reservation. Crews that cancel and request a refund, will be subject to the refund policy listed above and will receive their refund within 10-12 weeks of cancellation. Philmont has adjusted the minimum crew size to 5 participants (minimum of 2 adults) to allow for individual participants to cancel without canceling the crew. Philmont reserves the right to match you with a sister crew as needed to meet Health and Safety needs. Philmont will waive the adult to youth ratio (if YPT guidelines are met) to accommodate Scouts who will “age out” by the time they are rescheduled through 2022. Wilderness First Aid and CPR – Philmont highly encourages crew leadership to complete the Wilderness First Aid and CPR requirements as written in the Guidebook to Adventure, however, Philmont will not deny crews a Philmont adventure due to the inability to meet WFA and CPR requirements during the 2020 season. Philmont’s program model has been adjusted to accommodate crews who do not have these certifications. Health and Medical Record – State by state requirements for physicals have complicated and delayed the solution for participants who have been unable to complete the Annual Health and Medical Record this calendar year. We are confident that with the delay of the start of the summer that a solution will be available by May 15th with plenty of time for crews to complete before they depart for Philmont. 
Survey Questions to answer with your crew (please submit your crew’s responses at the link below, these are provided to assist you in consulting with your crew prior to entering the survey)
Email:Name:Expedition Number:Phone:I am the:Do you want to cancel your entire crew in 2020 and receive a refund? Please recognize there are options to transfer your reservation.Yes (Continue to Comments and Concerns)No (Continue to next question)Do you want to cancel a partial crew in 2020?Yes, I have crew members who will not be attending with my crew as previous planned – We will be reaching out to determine which crew members are canceled soon. (Continue to next question)No, my entire crew will be attending. (Continue to next question)What is your arrival month?June (proceed to June crews choices)July/August (proceed to July/August Crew choices)June Crews please rank your choices between 1 and 4Transfer the reservation to July or August dates in 2020 (space will be limited to a smaller number of crews arriving each day)Transfer the reservation to 2021 (space will be limited to available spaces)Transfer the reservation to 2022 (you will be able to pick your date now instead of waiting for the lottery)Transfer the reservation to available space in 2020 or 2021, at one of the other National High Adventure Bases (Florida National Seabase, Northern Tier High Adventure Base, Bechtel Summit Reserve)July and August Crews please rank your choices between 1 and 4.Keep original reservationTransfer the reservation to 2021 (space will be limited to available spaces)Transfer the reservation to 2022 (you will be able to pick your date now instead of waiting for the lottery)Transfer the reservation to available space in 2020 or 2021, at one of the other National High Adventure Bases (Florida National Seabase, Northern Tier High Adventure Base, Bechtel Summit Reserve)Was your crew canceled in 2018 due to the fires?YesNoComments and Concerns?If you are a unit that has requested cancellation in July or August, please indicate extenuating circumstances to be considered for waiving the 10% program support recovery fee. 

Sean Warner

Posts

No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation.

Leave a Reply